Software Developer - SDLC, Java, SQL, Git, Agile, AWS, Energy Sector
Central Birmingham - to £40k + benefits
An elite technology innovation centre is looking for a mid level Software Developer to join a small, top flight, multi-disciplinary team delivering an energy research platform based on a Home Energy system. This independent, not-for-profit centre of excellence bridges the gap between industry, government, academia and research to accelerate the transformation of the UK’s energy system.
The Software Developer will cover all aspects of the software development lifecycle and work with both internal and external stakeholders; the core team comprises hardware and software engineers, DevOps, Data Scientists, BAs.
The successful applicant will need to have a broad range of skills and capabilities to deliver high quality software solutions. Specifically, the Software Developer will: design, develop and integrate new cloud platform software features; integrate and test 3rd party software and update and maintain existing production software.
The Software Developer will need a strong academic background and experience in much of:
- Java 8 or later with spring / spring boot
- SQL (MS SQL Server, MySQL, PostgreSQL) and NoSQL databases (Postgres, MongoDB)
- A high-level software language such as NodeJS or Python
- Micro-services architecture
- Test-driven development.
- Integrating software and hardware
The successful developer will also have:
- Experience of applying software design principles
- The ability to produce high quality software
- Experience introducing new technologies to a platform
- Great communication skills to work with a talented multi-disciplined team
- A 'can do’ attitude that is willing to challenge team members to find the best solution while working under pressure to meet tight deadlines.
Benefits include: an annual company off-site event; flexible working hours; snacks and drinks; 28 days holiday; 2 for 1 contributory pension scheme; life assurance; discretionary bonus scheme and a genuinely friendly and supportive environment.