Lead Software Architect, Microservices, Cloud, R&D, Energy Sector
Central Birmingham (to £75k) part-week remote working a future option
An elite technology innovation centre is looking for a Lead Software Architect to join a small team delivering an energy research platform based on a home energy management system. This independent, not-for-profit centre of excellence bridges the gap between industry, government, academia and research to accelerate the transformation of the UK’s energy system.
The Lead Software Architect will provide technical consultancy - within a multi-disciplinary and young team comprising software + hardware engineers, DevOps, Data Scientists, BAs - on a wide range of projects from data platforms, application integrations, web services, etc. as well as the technical oversight of third parties. The role will need a significant breadth and depth of experience; a senior tech professional with excellent tech lead and soft skills, able to offer technical guidance and expertise both within the organisation and externally.
The Lead Software Architect will need a strong academic background and experience of:
* a wide range of, mainly cloud based, software technologies and applications
* microservices architecture and event driven architecture
* the use of high throughput message processing platforms such as Apache Kafka
* both software/code design and architecture design patterns and the use of UML
* a range of high-level software languages such as Java 8, Node JS, C
* SQL (MS SQL Server, MySQL, PostgreSQL) and NoSQL databases
* Docker and container orchestration platforms such as Kubernetes
You will also need:
* Strong presentation and communication skills
* The ability to conceptualise new ideas, thinking differently and encouraging a creative culture
* The ability to excel in a rapidly growing, fast-paced organisational environment
* An enquiring mind with desire to challenge the status quo
Benefits include: the option for part-week remote working following an agreed employment period; an annual company off-site event; flexible working hours; snacks and drinks; 28 days holiday; 2 for 1 contributory pension scheme; life assurance; discretionary bonus scheme and a genuinely friendly and supportive environment.